Montgomery/Greene County


What is a reportable release?

What is the difference between an Extremely Hazardous Substance (EHS) and a Hazardous Substance (HS)?|

What types of chemicals must be reported?

How can I work with the Local Emergency Planning Commission (LEPC)?

What is a reportable release? 

  • Extremely Hazardous Substances (EHS) 40 CFR; Part 355; Appendix A and B
  • CERCLA Hazardous Substances 40 CFR Part 302; Table 302.4
  • Oil (definition includes, without limitation, gasoline, petroleum, fuel oil, sludge, oil refuse, and oil mixed with wastes other than dredged spoil).
      1. The Reportable Quantity (RQ) for the discharge of oil including crude oil into or upon navigable waters is an amount which causes a visible film or sheen upon the surface of the water. 
      2. The RQ for the release of oil into the environment, excluding navigable waters, is an amount of 25 gallons or more; and 
      3. The RQ for the release of crude oil from an oil and gas extraction storage facility into the environment, excluding navigable waters, is 210 gallons.

For a table listing these substances and their reportable quantities, see the USEPA's Consolidated List of Lists.

What is the difference between an Extremely Hazardous Substance (EHS) and a Hazardous Substance (HS)?

There are over 700 chemicals listed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as hazardous substances under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act of 1980 (CERCLA), otherwise known as the "Superfund." Under Section 304 of CERCLA, an off-site release of a certain amount (known as the RQ - reportable quantity) of such chemicals requires notification of certain Federal, State and local authorities. Refer to our USEPA's Consolidated List of Listslink to see what chemicals fall into this category and their respective RQ - reportable quantity.

Extremely Hazardous Substances (EHS) are hazardous substances that have extremely toxic properties. Because of these properties, smaller inventory or release amounts of EHS trigger the reporting requirements of the program than amounts of other chemicals. If they are released, there is a greater potential for public and environmental harm.

What types of chemicals must be reported?

There are four groups of chemicals subject to reporting under the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act. Some chemicals appear in several groups.
Extremely Hazardous Substances
This list currently contains more than 300 chemicals. Because of their extremely toxic properties, these chemicals were chosen to provide an initial focus for chemical emergency planning. If these chemicals are released in certain amounts, they may be of immediate concern to the community. Releases must be reported immediately.
Hazardous Substances
These are hazardous substances listed under previous Superfund hazardous waste cleanup regulations (Section 103(a) of the Comprehensive Environmental Resource and Conservation Liability Act-- Superfund). The current list contains about 720 substances. Releases of these chemicals above certain amounts must be reported immediately because they may represent an immediate hazard to the community.
Hazardous Chemicals
These chemicals are not on a list at all, but are defined by Occupational Safety and Health Administration regulations as chemicals which represent a physical or health hazard. Under this definition many thousands of chemicals can be subject to reporting requirements if a facility manufactures, processes, or stores them in certain amounts. Inventories of these chemicals and material safety data sheets for each of them must be submitted if they are present in the facility in certain amounts.
Toxic Chemicals
There are now more than 320 chemicals or chemical categories on this list, which were selected by Congress primarily because of their chronic or long-term toxicity. Estimates of releases of these chemicals into all media--air, land, and water--must be re ported annually and entered into a national data base.
For further information on the chemical lists, contact MGCLERC or the State Emergency Response Commission (SERC).

How can I work with the Local Emergency Planning Commission (LEPC)?
Facilities are encouraged to work with the LEPC in a number of ways. A facility can request to have a member representative on the MGCLERC, participate in MGCLERC's emergency planning activities through membership on a subcommittee, and volunteer to participate in one of the MGCLERC's annual exercises. The SARA Title III program was established in part to encourage better facility-community interaction, thus improving the planning process involving preparing for chemical emergencies. If your facility is interested, please contact the MGCLERC This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

REIBOLD BUILDING    •    117 SOUTH MAIN STREET, SUITE 721    •    DAYTON, OHIO 45422   •    937.224.8934